The challenge of fulfilling the Inglenook Sidings Shunting Puzzle is linked to the fact that some advanced thinking is required – because there is limited space available to juggle around the rolling stock, as determined by the lengths of the individual sidings and the headshunt on the layout.
What looks like a simple task can thus provoke quite a bit of head-scratching. And since the number of possible combinations regarding the positions of these 8 items of rolling stock amounts to about 40,320, it should take a while before a feeling of “oh yes, I know this one” grabs the operator.
The full rules can be found here, however the gist is:
- Form a departing train consisting of five (5) out of the eight (8) wagons sitting in the sidings.
- The five wagons are selected at random.
- The train must comprise the five wagons in the order in which they are selected.
The layout has a specific number of pieces of rolling stock that can be placed on each siding.
- A shall be one locomotive and three rolling stock items long
- B shall be five rolling stock items long
- C and D shall both be three rolling stock items long.
There is an online discussion about a solver here.